Monday, January 21, 2008

Hong Kong: Welcome to Sai Kung

Sai Kung town is just a five minute walk away from Sha Kok Mei Village and this is where I did some growing up too. Located right next to the ocean and surrounded by mountains, Sai Kung is a popular location for seafood and expats. It has a towny feeling but also the busyness of the city. Everyday that I want to go out to the city, I had to walk to town to catch the minivan.




This is the a harbor view of the ocean from Sai Kung. Notice the contrast between the motor boats and the small wooden boats. Those small boats are inhabited by the tankas or the boat dwellers. They make a living off fishing and spend most of their time in their boats.









Along the harbor lies these cramp aquariums with all types of seafood. There's literally everything imagined from giant eels to things that I can't even name. This is just one restaurant front out of many more.









That's me obviously. Picture was taken by another fellow visitor.











Typical aesthetic of the town. Notice all the clothes being hung off the balcony. People in Hong Kong almost never use a dryer to dry their clothes.








The gate to the old side of town. What's behind the gate? Why more seafood restaurant of course.











A glimpse of the old part of town. Don't let the photo fool you! This street is actually not empty (that is impossible to find to Hong Kong). The dingy appearance is a prevalent theme of Hong Kong.











Much to my surprise, this was actually my kindergarten. I never knew that I went to school in Sai Kung when I was young. All I remember about my kindergarten day was that every day at the same time, tens of pigeons would fly into the classroom and we would all scream hysterically.